1. Be sure that all electrical and phone cords are tucked out of the way and that all throw rugs are removed.
2. Make sure carpet is safely secured to the floor and that there are no wrinkles or raised areas.
3. Place non-skid strips on the bottom of the bathtub.
4. Be sure to sit down while shaving, brushing your teeth, styling your hair or putting on make-up. Use a tabletop mirror or a full length mirror so you can use it while either standing or sitting.
5. Be careful when you walk from one surface to the next, for example, from a carpeted area to a tile floor.
6. When moving from a lying down position to a standing position, sit up first, rest a moment, then proceed to stand up slowly and stand a few moments before trying to walk.
7. Arrange items in your cupboards so that the frequently used items are easy to reach.
8. Make sure that all stairs and hallways are well-lit and free of clutter.
9. Be sure to always use railings when going up or down stairs. It is always a good idea to have railing on both sides. If there are no railings, place your hand along the wall as you proceed.
10. Use night-lights to assist you walking at night.
11. Sit on firm, high furniture that has arm rests to assist you when standing.
12. Avoid ladders, try and have someone else get high items to prevent falling.
Every patient must have a prescription for rehab from their physician. A patient has the choice to go where they know they will get the best treatment for their specific goals. Your insurance coverage will be verified and your first appointment will be scheduled within 24 hours.
Remember, it is all about you!